Mutual exchange is where you swap your home. You can mutually exchange your property if you have a protected or assured tenancy.

You can swap with a mhs homes tenant, a tenant from another housing association or a local council tenant.

Both of you need to agree to swap your home and get the property owner’s permission.

Where to go for mutual exchanges

You can use Kent Homechoice for mutual exchanges within Kent. This service is free and advertises homes for mutual exchange across the county.

Tips when mutually exchanging your home

  • Visit the property first to make sure it is suitable
  • Be aware that you will take on the terms and conditions of the tenancy of the person you are swapping with; so find out if any of your protected rights are affected first
  • If you are happy to swap remember you also take on the property in the condition it is in
  • We will not decorate during the swap, although we will carry out any work that we are responsible for
  • A number of checks have to be carried out before we will consider your application, e.g. electrical safety, asbestos checks.

Why you might be refused a mutual exchange

You could be refused if:

  • You have been served with a notice for rent arrears or anti-social behaviour issues
  • The property is too big or too small for the needs of the family
  • There are disabled adaptations in the property and the new tenant does not need them.