Mutual exchange is where you swap your home. You can mutually exchange your property if you have a protected or assured tenancy.
You can swap with a mhs homes group tenant, a tenant from another housing association or a local council tenant. Both of you need to agree to swap your home and get the property owner’s permission.
You could be refused if:
- You have rent arrears or anti-social behaviour issues
- The property is too big or too small for the needs of the family
- There are disabled adaptations in the property and the new tenant does not need them
If you want to stay in Kent
You can use Kent Homechoice for mutual exchanges within Kent.
If you want to move outside of Kent
Visit Homeswapper to find out who is looking to swap their home. This service is free and advertises homes for mutual exchange across the UK.
Tips when mutually exchanging your home
- Visit the property first to make sure it is suitable.
- Be aware that you will take on the terms and conditions of the tenancy of the person you are swapping with; so find out if any of your protected rights are affected first
- If you are happy to swap remember you also take on the property in the condition it is in.
- We will not decorate during the swap, although we will carry out any work that we are responsible for
- A gas safety check has to be carried out before we will consider your application.