Mutual Exchanges

Do you have a Protected or Assured Tenancy? If so, you can mutually exchange your property.

Mutual exchange means swapping homes. You can swap your home with another mhs homes tenant, housing association tenant or local council tenant.

Both of you need to agree to swap your home and get the property owners permission. You could be refused if:

  • You have rent arrears or anti-social behaviour issues
  • The property is too big or too small for the needs of the family
  • There are disabled adaptations in the property and the new tenant does not need them
  • Please be aware that you will take on the terms and conditions of the tenancy of the person you are swapping with; so find out if any of your protected rights are affected first.

Go and look at the property first to make sure it is suitable.

If you are happy to swap remember you also take on the property in the condition it is in. We will not decorate during the swap, although we will carry out any work that we are responsible for.

Before considering your application a gas safety check has to be carried out.

Visit Exchange Locata to find out who is looking to swap their home.

If you don’t have access to a computer come down to mhs express and we will help you register and search for properties.

For more information email us at

House exchange