Frequently asked questions

If you're a leaseholder or shareholder and incurred damage to the structure of your home you may be able to make a claim on our building insurance. Please call 0161 823 4810 or email with details of the claim you wish to make. There's an excess of £200.00 to pay for each claim made.

You’ll need to report claims within seven days in the case of damage caused by riot, civil commotion, strikes, labour disturbances or malicious persons.

In your lease it says you must - at least once a year - have your gas supply and gas appliances (the boiler, gas cooker, gas fire etc) checked by an engineer registered with Gas Safe.

You must then give us a copy of the gas safety certificate they give to you

If you're subletting you are the landlord and you'll be breaking the law if you don't do this.

For more information, have a look at the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) website.

You can report communal repairs in My Account.

Log in and select 'report a repair' in the menu.

If the leak is from your flat and has caused damage to the flat below, please contact the person who lives there ASAP. You may need to make a claim on your contents insurance.

Report any loss or damage incurred as soon as possible by contacting our claims administrators Broadspire Limited on 0345 266 9660 or email

If the leak is coming from the flat above, phone the people who live there or knock on their door ASAP.

If you're a leaseholder or a shared owner you need to make the claim within seven days of the incident occurring. You're responsible for paying the excess too.

You can do small jobs, such as redecorate or put up shelves, without contacting us.

But, if you want to do any major work, such as put in a new bathroom or kitchen, you must get our permission before you start.

The work will need to be carried out by a builder with good knowledge, experience and a good reputation.

It may need to reach set standards or building regulations. This could mean you need the right plans and paperwork as evidence of what you've done.

Yes, you can. But you'll be responsible for them and you must make sure they keep to the conditions in your lease.

You should check with your income tax office because you may be able to claim some tax benefits on the rent you get paid by your lodger.

If you’re a leaseholder, yes, but you must tell us if you want to sub-let. You’ll need to pay us a subletting fee to sub-let your property.

You'll need to give us:

  • your full contact details (including your new address)
  • a copy of the tenancy agreement
  • contact details for your tenant or the details of any managing/letting agent

You must make sure your tenant does not break the conditions of your lease. If you have a mortgage, you should contact your lender and get their permission.

If you’re a shared owner you usually can’t sublet. There are some rare exceptions where we’ll consider this.

You can get a replacement key fob from our Broadside office in Chatham Maritime for a small charge.

You must get our permission before you arrange anything as most leases restrict the fitting of satellite dishes.

Your lease plan will show where any allocated parking is provided for your home.

These areas can't be used to park lorries, vans, caravans, boats or trailers and you can't do major repairs to your vehicle here.