We understand that many of our customers are finding it increasingly difficult to balance the weekly budget, with some resorting to payday lenders and loan sharks.

Our teams are on hand to help you with your finances and to provide expert advice and guidance.

Benefits advice

In recent years the government has made some big changes to the benefit system and with Universal Credit being introduced, these changes will impact many of our customers.  

To ensure you receive all the benefits that you’re entitled to we have a team of benefits advisors available to help you.

Debt advice

Debt can easily spiral unless action is taken, we can help you prioritise your debts and negotiate with lenders. 

We can transfer you to specialist advisors such as the Citizens Advice and Step Change to get free impartial support to help you get out of debt.

Benefit Cap

The government has announced reductions to the benefit cap. This means that the amount you receive from some working age benefits may be reduced.

From autumn 2016 the total amount that;

  • People with dependant children will be able to claim in benefits is £384.62 a week outside London (£20,000 per year).
  • A single person without dependant children will be able to claim in benefits is £257.69 a week outside London (£13,400 per year).

If your benefits are being capped, you'll get a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions. Some people are exempt, look below for more about that.

There is a Benefit Cap calculator on Gov.uk which anyone can use. We have created some FAQs below to help you, and you can also get in touch with us. We have people who can help you with budgeting, debt management and support with claiming Welfare Benefits.

Benefit Cap FAQs

  • Income Support 
  • Jobseekers Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance (except if you receive the support group component)
  • Child Tax Credits
  • Child Benefit
  • Bereavement Allowance
  • Maternity Allowance
  • Widowed Parents Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Universal Credit

If anyone in your household gets one of the below benefits, you’ll be exempt:

• Working Tax Credits
• Disability Living Allowance
• Personal Independence Payment
• Attendance Allowance
• Industrial Injuries Benefits
• Employment and Support Allowance (which includes the Support component)
• War Widow’s or Widower’s Pension
• War Pension
• Armed Forces Independence Payment
• Armed Forces Compensation Scheme Payment
• Carers Allowance


People who count as being part of your household are you, your partner if you have one and any dependant children. Non-dependant children do not count as part of your household for the benefit cap. Non-dependant children are those who are responsible for paying you rent, if they have a job. It remains your responsibility to pay the rent. 


Paying your rent on time is what you agreed to when you moved in. We know sometimes life throws nasty things at us and finances can get a little off balance. But your rent is a priority. It has to be paid.

Please tell us if you think you'll struggle to pay your rent because of the benefit cap. We can help you to look at your budget.

An option might be trying to get a job, as if you have one, you may be exempt from the benefit cap. Or, you may be able to apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) while you adjust – find out more about what this is in the below question.


Sometimes DHPs are given to help people pay their rent for short periods of time. For more info or to see if you’re eligible click here.


Housing benefit will be reduced as part of the benefit cap on 19 December 2016. 

Contact the team

An error occurred, please try again.

Thank you for your submission. A member of our staff will contact you shortly.