Do you have home contents insurance?

It’s designed to cover the cost of financial losses caused by theft, fire, flood or water damage from a burst pipe. Whilst we insure the buildings we don't insure your contents and personal belongings. That’s why it’s really important that all of our residents have home contents insurance.

There are lots of insurance providers out there, just search 'tenants contents insurance'. You can choose what's important to you - it might be your phone, TV, furniture or jewellery?

There’s an affordable home contents insurance scheme supported by the National Housing Federation, called My Home Contents Insurance. It was made specifically for tenants living in social and affordable housing. You can find out more about the scheme here or call My Home on 0345 450 7288.

What would home contents insurance normally cover?

• Fire damage
• Theft
• Storm and flood damage
• Damage caused by water or oil leaks
• Lost or stolen keys
• The contents of your freezer if it broke down
• Accidental damage to TV’s and home entertainment equipment
• Damage caused by a leaking washing machine or a burst pipe
• The contents of sheds and garages
• Students possessions living away from home
• Tenants responsibility
• Accidental damage to sanitary fixtures such as toilets and washbasins
• Extended Accidental Damage Cover
• Personal Possessions away from the home.
• Mobility Scooters/Wheelchairs
• Hearing Aids

Limits and exclusions usually apply depending on the policy and type of cover you choose, the above are examples of what would normally be covered but some of these covers may be optional extras.