How to get on the move
If you’d like to move to another home, here are a few ways you can do it.
Do you have a spare bedroom?
If you have one or more spare bedrooms, recent changes to the benefits system could mean that keeping the space will be very expensive for you.
The government has changed the way it calculates Housing Benefit, and this means:
- If you're under 61, Housing Benefit will only be paid for the size of home you need, not what you've got
- If you're over 61, you're not affected by these changes
If this affects you, you do have a few options:
• Pay the difference in the rent and stay where you are
• Swap your home with another mhs customer or someone who's social renting in another area (this is also called a mutual exchange)
• Transfer to another property