We review rent and service charge amounts each year. This is based on your tenancy agreement and government advice.

We’ll send you a letter if your rent’s changed. If it’s staying the same we won’t send you a letter.

Got a question? Just click on one below and the drop down box will display the answer.

Frequently asked questions


If your rent’s changed we’ve sent you a letter telling you the new amount to pay. If your rent’s staying the same, we haven’t sent you a letter.


We review rent and service charge amounts every year based on your tenancy agreement and government guidance.

We’ll tell you if your rent and other costs are changing, what they’ll be and when they start.


If you pay service charges they’ll be listed on your letter when we tell you about changes to your rent.


If you pay by standing order you’ll need to change the amount to the charges shown on your letter. If you pay by direct debit you don’t need to do anything.

We’ll send the new direct debit schedule in the post. If you pay online, using the automated telephone line, cash, cheque or other method, you’ll need to pay the new amount.


If you pay weekly then you pay the weekly amount.

If you pay fortnightly, then it’s twice the weekly amount.

If you pay every four weeks, then you’ll need to pay four times the weekly amount (and make 13 payments a year).

If you pay calendar monthly (on the same date each month) it’s 52 times your weekly rent divided by 12.


If you’ve made an arrangement to pay off the debt, add that amount to your new payment – be careful to include the debt in your calculations.

If you haven’t made an arrangement to pay, contact us now.


If you claim housing benefit, you must tell the local council housing benefit section if your charges are changing, and any changes to your circumstances, such as if someone has moved into or out of your home or if your wages have changed.

We’ll also tell Medway Council about your rent changes. If your rent is more than your housing benefit, you must pay the difference to us each week.

If you have an arrangement to pay any rent you owe us, you need to carry on paying the debt.


If you claim Universal Credit, you must take a copy of your rent letter to your local Job Centre to tell them about this change, and any other changes to your circumstances.


If you’re struggling to pay your rent, please tell us straight away. We can check your income and help you budget.

Your rent must be paid, and we’ll take legal action when necessary, but we prefer to work with you to sort out payments.


Your tenancy agreement states that payments should be made ‘in advance’. If your payments are currently paid in arrears, please contact us.

We’re happy for you to make the payments weekly, fortnightly or monthly, whichever suits your budget best.


If you owe us money for your rent we’ll increase your direct debit by an amount agreed with you (or the court) to pay off the debt.

If you’re paying in arrears we’ll increase your direct debit over the course of the year so that your account doesn’t go into debt.

We’ll write to you to let you know if we’ve done either of these things.

Direct debit is the easiest way to pay your rent, the money automatically comes out of your account so you don’t have to worry. We can help you set one up, just call us on 01634 565333. We‘ll give you at least 10 days notice of any change to your direct debit amounts.


Garage rents are charged weekly. We collect 52 weeks rent per year.

If you’d like to work out the monthly payment, times the weekly rent by 52 and divide by 12.

You should pay on the same day each month (either at the beginning or the end).


Call us on 01634 565333 or live chat us, or email us; we’re happy to discuss your worries about your payments; our customer service team will be able to help, and may refer you to your income officer, or our tenancy sustainment services.