mhs homes is a non profit organisation that provides affordable homes to people who need them most, owning and managing 8500 properties in Medway, Maidstone and Dartford.
mhs homes is a Registered Society and the parent in a group structure that includes a Registered Social Landlord and a community charity.
This statement is published on behalf of the Board of mhs homes ltd with regard to the Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking Act 2015.
The Act requires large employers to be transparent about their efforts to eradicate slavery and human trafficking and to publically report the steps taken to ensure its operations, including their strategic partners and the supply chain are trafficking free and slavery free.
The Act makes provisions about slavery, servitude, forced and compulsory labour and human trafficking. In accordance with the Act, mhs homes strongly opposes slavery and human trafficking and would never knowingly conduct business with partners, contractors, supply chains or employees in such practice.
mhs homes maintains a framework for identifying and managing risk across the organisation that is subject to regular scrutiny by the Leadership Team and the Finance Risk and Audit Committee. mhs homes has identified the potential for human trafficking or slavery to exist in the following areas although it does not consider any activities to be at high risk:
• Supply chain linked to contracted labour within the construction and property maintenance market
• Supply chain linked to goods supplied
• Housing used as a potential venue for modern slavery
As part of our due diligence process to alleviate these risks, mhs homes will strive to achieve the following within 2016/17:
• Review our existing supplier and contractor list to ensure that all existing contractors and suppliers are compliant with the Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking Act.
• Obtain a Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking Statement from all of our existing/potential contractors and suppliers where there is a spend of over £250,000
• Maintain robust contract management processes to ensure continued compliance within the supply chain.
• Ensure that regular contact with our customers is maintained to manage our customer database efficiently.
• Maintain a robust, transparent and equal recruitment policy.
• Maintain the highest standards of the employee code of conduct and ethical behaviour making it clear to employees the actions and behaviours expected of them when representing mhs homes.
• We will work to raise awareness of issues relating to safeguarding of people of all ages and will put in place procedures and training for staff to ensure that we can deal appropriately and sensitively with any incidents, suspicions, or threats of abuse, or neglect.
• Maintain our corporate whistleblowing policy available for staff to raise concerns regarding fraud, concerns and malpractice
This statement has been approved by the Board and signed by the Chief Executive of mhs homes and will be reviewed and updated as necessary.