Mutual exchange (swap homes with someone else)

Tenants can swap homes with other tenants if the landlords agree. This is called a mutual exchange.

The home doesn't need to be in Kent.

You can swap with:

  • Another mhs homes social rent customer
  • A tenant with another housing association
  • A tenant with a local council

It doesn't matter why you want to move. if you’ve got a protected or assured tenancy then you can try and swap your home.

Why we might say no

We might say no to a mutual exchange if:

  • You’ve been served with a notice for rent debt, anti-social behaviour or breaking another tenancy condition
  • Your home is too big or too small for the needs of the family you're swapping with
  • Changes have been made to your home to help disabled people live there and the new tenant won't need them

How to swap

Both of you need to agree to swap your homes and get permission from the landlords.

  1. Find someone else to exchange with

    You can use our free mutual exchange Facebook group to advertise and find new places to live.

    You can also use Exchange Locata. It's free and it has homes from all across the UK.

  2. Apply for a mutual exchange

    Complete our mutual exchange application form

We'll have to do some checks in your home before you swap to make sure it's safe (electrics, asbestos etc).


  • Visit the home you're moving to first to make sure it's suitable.
  • Know that you will take on the terms and conditions of the tenancy of the person you're swapping with, so find out if any of your protected rights are affected.
  • You take on the property you're moving into in its current condition, perhaps with the peeling paint and broken kitchen door.
  • We won't decorate during the swap (but we'll do any repairs work we're responsible for).