What to do if you can't pay your rent or charges

Our guidance during the coronavirus pandemic

You must speak with us if you're not able to pay your rent and/or charges in full. Call us on 01634 565333 Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

As your landlord we’re committed to helping you through these unprecedented times, but your rent and/or charges do still need to be paid so that we can continue delivering our services to you.

More of our customers need our help than ever and our team are trained to make this help easy to access.

You have options you might not have considered before:

  • making an application for Universal Credit
  • checking what benefits you may be eligible for and working out a monthly budget
  • If you're a shared owner speak your mortgage lender about support. This could include payment deferral, reduced payments, extension of your mortgage term, or a change to your mortgage type

We have seen a doubling in the number of our customers who have successfully claimed Universal Credit in the last year.

You can also get independent advice from Citizen's Advice Bureau if you can't pay your bills due to coronavirus.

The important thing is to speak to us so we can help.

You must speak with us if you're not able to pay your rent and/or charges in full. Call us on 01634 565333 Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

We'll help with advice about paying your rent or charges and claiming benefits or Universal Credit to get you the best support.

Why it’s important to talk to us

Ultimately, you could lose your home if you don't pay your rent and/or charges. Paying your rent and charges on time is what you agreed to do when you moved in.

Telling us about the problem is the easiest way to sort it out. We’ll give you the support you need to take control of your money, and our team is full of people who can help you.

How we'll help

We can come to an arrangement on your debt and help you with your income and expenditure. Our team are trained to make this as easy as possible.

Improving your income and expenditure

This is a very simple chat about what money you have coming in and going out.

We’ll use this information to help you pay your rent or come to an arrangement, but we don’t advise you on how to spend your money.

Agreeing what payments you can afford and when (an arrangement)

Once we've looked at your income and expenditure we can agree how much you'll pay and the dates you'll pay it by. We'll call this an arrangement.

If you keep to these payments we won't contact you about your overdue rent and/or charges.

An arrangement helps you pay off your whole debt and can be flexible.

Tailored and specialist help

We can tailor our service to meet your needs. For example with:

  • detailed support with your income and expenditure
  • a face-to-face chat
  • help setting up a Direct Debit payment
  • guidance on benefits you're eligible for and how to apply